||Alpha Delta Pi holds the distinction of being the first secret society in the world for college women. Founded on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia, we were originally called The Adelphean Society, from the Greek word for sister.|
Highlights in Alpha Delta Pi History
These dates and events are only a brief glimpse into the long and distinguished history of Alpha Delta Pi. For a more complete picture, an Alpha Delta Pi Timeline will be available soon.
1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.
1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as The Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.
1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.
1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
1906: Gamma Chapter was founded at Mary Baldwin Seminary. The first National Convention was held in Macon, Georgia.
1907: The first Adelphean was published.
1909: Alpha Delta Phi joined the National Panhellenic Conference.
1911: Elizabeth Moseley Coles was elected the first National President.
1913: The Convention body changed the name of the organization to Alpha Delta Pi, adopted a recognition pin, and appointed a Standardization committee. The trustees at Wesleyan Female College voted to abolish sororities.
1915: The coat of arms was modified to include a lion rampart with a background of violets and the English version of the open motto: ?We live for each other.?
1929: Beta Zeta was installed at the University of Toronto, making ADPi an international organization.
1979: Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy.
1983: The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established.
2001: Alpha Delta Pi celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
2003: New Executive Office building was completed.
2005: Memorial Headquarters renovation was completed.