1904, a friendship club was formed at Iowa State College (later to be Iowa
State University) in Ames, Iowa. In February 1910, the 16 members of the club
decided to reorganize as a sorority and applied for permission to petition
Alpha Delta Pi. On June 3, 1911, Barbara Schlafer of Theta Chapter, Lawrence
College, Appleton, Wisconsin, arrived to install Pi of Alpha Delta Pi, the
second chapter in the North.
charter members were Ada Hayden, then professor in botany at ISC and later to
be the first woman to receive a PhD degree at the college; Gladys Rush, later
head librarian at ISC; Mary Blodgett, Maude Arnold, Osee Wilson, Chloe Packman,
Clara Robinson, Flora Clyde, Edna Prine, Jennie Mitchell, Stella Drennan,
Nellie Patterson, Lulu Jane Lovitt, Louise Buchanan, Cornelia Vetter, and Grace
Chapter was the third national sorority on campus; with Pi Beta Phi and Kappa
Delta already present at Iowa State College. Pi members resided first in
Margaret Hall, then moved to a house on campus, later purchased a house at 526
Welch in 1917 that became too small, and plans were begun in 1928 to purchase a
house on Lincoln Way across from the Memorial Union.
June, 1931, Adelphean states, ??Do you want to take a walk? I do, let?s go over
and see that grand hole in the ground.? Thus the actives watch the progress of
the new house. New officers for Pi chapter are: president, Vera Larson; vice
president, Helen Hipple; secretary, Inew Kelly; treasurer, Emma Lou Taylor;
rusing captain, Harriet Herrig; guard, Clarice Roseland; and chaplain, Martha
January, 1932, Adelphean, states, ?Pi Chapter began the year with the long
desired ? a new house?We surely appreciate Mrs. Buchanan, who has taken charge
of the building and all of the work connected with it.? They had their first
house warming in November, the first initiation ceremony of four girls in early
fall, about 40 guests at Homecoming, and the first fall dance on November 14th.
1919, at the National Convention in Natural Bridge, Virginia, the National
Council appointed Mary Kelly Shearer, a 1915 initiate of Pi Chapter, the
Business Manager of The Adelphean. Later in 1925, Mary Kelly Shearer became the
first Executive Secretary of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, setting up the first
Central Office at her home at 611 Ash in Ames. She served until 1934.
Members: Maude Arnold, Mary Blodgett, Edith Booher, Flora Clyde, Elizabeth
Davis, Stella Drennan, Ada Hayden, Lulu Jane Lovitt, Jennie Mitchell, Chloe
Packman, Nellie Patterson, Edna Prine, Willa Richardson, Clara Robinson, Gladys
Rush, May Statler, Lora Thompson, Cornelia Vetter, and Osse Wilson, first
Alpha Delta Pi Sorority recognizes the value and potential of personal
publishing on the Internet; however, Alpha Delta Pi cannot accept responsibility
for the content of linked pages. These pages do not in any way constitute
official Alpha Delta Pi content. The views and opinions expressed are strictly
those of the page authors and comments on the contents of those pages should be
directed to the page authors.